• Publisher: Harvard University Press
    • Release date: May 15, 2006
    • Format: hardcover, 293 pages
    • Genres: psychology, medical, health, medicine, sociology
    • Author: David A. Karp
    • ISBN: 9780674021822 (0674021827)
    • Language: english

About The Book

By the millennium Americans were spending more than 12 billion dollars yearly on antidepressant medications. Currently, millions of people in the U.S. routinely use these pills. Are these miracle drugs, quickly curing depression? Or is their popularity a sign that we now inappropriately redefine normal life problems as diseases? Are they prescribed too often or too seldom? How do they affect self-images?

David Karp approaches these questions from the inside, having suffered from clinical depression for most of his adult life. In this book he explores the relationship between pills and personhood by listening to a group of experts who rarely get the chance to speak on the matter — those who are taking the medications. Their voices, extracted from interviews Karp conducted, color the pages with their experiences and reactions — humor, gratitude, frustration, hope, and puzzlement. Here, the patients themselves articulate their impressions of what drugs do to them and for them. They reflect on difficult issues, such as the process of becoming committed to medication, quandaries about personal authenticity, and relations with family and friends.

The stories are honest and vivid, from a distraught teenager who shuns antidepressants while regularly using street drugs to a woman who still yearns for a spiritual solution to depression even after telling intimates ”I’m on Prozac and it’s saving me.” The book provides unflinching portraits of people attempting to make sense of a process far more complex and mysterious than doctors or pharmaceutical companies generally admit.

TXT book Is It Me or My Meds? by David A. Karp read for iPhone. FictionBook Is It Me or My Meds? download on Book Depository. FB2 ebook Is It Me or My Meds? David A. Karp.

PDF book Is It Me or My Meds? buy cheap on reader on Booktopia. MP3 ebook Is It Me or My Meds? David A. Karp download iPad. EPUB Is It Me or My Meds? read online on Walmart.

MOBI book Is It Me or My Meds? by David A. Karp buy on Kobo. Paperback Is It Me or My Meds? on PocketBook. Online ebook Is It Me or My Meds? for Mac on IndieBound.

Esillä 1 viesti (kaikkiaan 1)
Vastaa aiheeseen: (MOBI) Is It Me or My Meds? by David A. Karp
Tietosi: